Turkish authorities announce the arrest of the person responsible for the Istanbul attack

Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu told the official Anadolu news agency on Monday that the person who planted a bomb on Istiklal Street in Istanbul has been arrested, It killed at least 6 people.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and Vice President Fuat Aktay had previously said that a “woman” was responsible for the attack, but the Interior Minister did not talk about this, Monday.

Soylu accused the PKK of being responsible for the The bloody attack in Istanbul.

“According to our conclusions, the terrorist organization of the Kurdistan Workers’ Party is responsible” for the attack, Soylu said, announcing the arrest of a person accused of placing a bomb on Istiklal Street.

Six people were killed and 81 others were injured, yesterday, Sunday, during an explosion that rocked the crowded pedestrianized Istiklal Street in central Istanbul, in an incident that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said was carried out by a bomb and “smelt of terrorism.”

On Sunday evening, Turkish Vice President Fuat Aktay accused a “woman” of “exploding a bomb”, without specifying whether she was among the dead.

In a statement broadcast live on television, the Turkish president denounced a “despicable attack”. He stressed that “the initial information indicates a terrorist attack,” noting that “a woman may be involved,” without giving further details, a story that the Ministry of Interior later ignored.

Alleged Istanbul suicide bomber and an unconfirmed account

Alleged Istanbul suicide bomber and an unconfirmed account

And rumors spread immediately after the explosion of a suicide attack without any confirmation or evidence.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attack so far.

Erdogan promised that “the identity of the perpetrators of this despicable attack will be revealed. Our people will be sure that we will punish the perpetrators.”

Erdogan had previously faced a series of attacks that sparked panic in the country between 2015 and 2016, which killed about 500 people and wounded more than 2,000, some of which were claimed by ISIS.

And the police imposed a wide security cordon to prevent access to the area for fear of a second explosion. An AFP photographer reported that the heavy deployment of security forces also prevented any access to the neighborhood and the surrounding streets.

Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu quickly went to the scene, writing on Twitter: “I have been informed by the Istiklal (Street) firefighting teams. They are continuing their work in coordination with the police,” offering his condolences to the relatives of the victims.

In the neighboring Galata district, many shops closed before their usual hours. An AFP journalist reported that some passers-by arrived running from the scene with tears in their eyes.

By nightfall, the outdoor patios for restaurants in this tourist district were almost empty.

The explosion sparked feelings of sadness and terror among the residents of this neighborhood of Istanbul, who had previously witnessed such an attack in the past. Istanbul’s top football club matches have been cancelled.

Istiklal Street, located in the historical district of Beyoglu district, is one of the most famous streets in Istanbul, extending over a distance of 1.4 km, and is completely dedicated to pedestrians. An old streetcar lined with shops and restaurants runs at its center and is attended by about three million people a day over the weekend.

In March 2016, the street witnessed a suicide attack, which resulted in four deaths.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *