Senegal striker Sadio Mane will undergo medical examinations within ten days in Munich to follow up on his recovery from the injury that could prevent him from participating in the World Cup, despite being selected in his country’s squad on Friday.
Mane was named to Senegal’s squad for the finals in Qatar, which kicks off November 20, despite being injured while playing for Bayern Munich on Tuesday.
The 30-year-old, who scored the decisive penalty kicks in Senegal’s African Cup final victory and this year’s World Cup promotion match, suffered a right leg injury during Bayern’s 6-1 win over Werder Bremen.
“I don’t even know what a ‘witch doctor’ is,” said Bayern coach Julian Nagelsmann. And that was in response to the suggestion of Fatma Samoura, Secretary-General of the International Football Association (FIFA), who said that her compatriot Mane may be treated by “witch doctors” to regain fitness in a timely manner.
And Nagelsmann added in a press conference: “In ten days we will examine Mane again, to see how his progress went, and we will decide then.” Obviously Senegal really want him to play, but we have to wait and see what the medical situation will be. If he is not able to play, he will not play whether the Senegalese Federation wants to or not. These attitudes go beyond the mathematical aspects.
Senegal will face the Netherlands on November 21 in the opening matches of Group A, before hosting Qatar plays against Ecuador.
Senegal coach Aliou Cisse said earlier on Friday that he was confident in Mane’s ability to recover in time to play in the World Cup finals.