Fighting rages in eastern Ukraine amid intense Russian bombing and attacks

The Ukrainian General Staff announced, on Monday, that Russian forces bombed targets with missiles, drones and artillery in eastern and southern Ukraine, at a time when millions remain without electricity amid sub-zero temperatures after Russia intensified its strikes on key infrastructure, according to Reuters.

United Nations aid coordinator Martin Griffiths arrived in Ukraine on Monday to see for himself “the impact of the humanitarian response and the new challenges that have arisen with the increasing damage to infrastructure amid frigid winter temperatures,” his office said.

In its daily update of the military situation, the Ukrainian General Staff said that its forces repelled Russian attacks on 4 residential communities in the eastern Donetsk region, and on 8 communities in the neighboring Luhansk region.

Russia continued its attacks on Bakhmut, now largely in ruins, Avdiivka and Lyman, and launched two missile attacks on civilian infrastructure in Kostyantynivka, all in the Donetsk region, one of four regions Moscow claims it annexed from Ukraine after “referendums”. Kiev called it illegal.

Ukraine said that Russian forces suffered heavy losses on the eastern front in fierce fighting that also led to heavy losses among its forces.

In addition, Russian forces carried out more than 60 attacks with missile launch systems targeting civilian infrastructure in Kherson, the southern city liberated by Ukrainian forces last month, and the Ukrainian forces stationed there, according to the General Staff.

It said that Russia also bombed residential communities along the Zaporizhya front line in south-central Ukraine, while Ukrainian forces bombed Russian control points, ammunition stores and other targets.

On Monday, the port of Odessa, overlooking the Black Sea, resumed operations after stopping work for two days, after two energy facilities were attacked by Iranian-made drones on Saturday.

Officials said electricity was slowly being restored to about 1.5 million people.

Earlier, the British Ministry of Defense ruled out, on Monday, that the Russian ground forces would achieve significant field progress in Ukraine in the coming months.

And she added in a statement that it is unlikely that Russia will succeed in extending its control over Donetsk, Luhansk, Zaporizhia and Kherson at the present time.

Sunday, he said Ukrainian President Volodymyr ZelenskyEmergency services are working to relieve power outages in many regions of Ukraine after the Russian attacks, especially the Black Sea port of Odessa, while the Ukrainian Ministry of Defense reported that snow prevents the transfer of military equipment to resume an effective counterattack.

“At this time it has become possible to partially restore supplies in Odessa and other cities and parts of the region,” Zelensky said in his overnight video address.

He added, “We are doing our best to reach as many people as possible in the circumstances that emerged after the Russian attacks.”

Russian forces used Iranian-made drones to bomb two power plants in Odessa on Saturday, cutting power to about 1.5 million people.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *